A critique of my own hypocrisy
1. Put away the Christmas jumper
Tear the tinsel from the tree
Holy innocence soon after
Brings to mind reality
2. Stuff the turkey and the pudding
Strip away the mince pies too
Online shopping boxing clever
Is the milieu for the few_
3. Whose consumption melts our planet
Heating up a winter storm
Rising seas from polar meltdown
Gives us pause to let us mourn:
4. How our stewardship is awful
Of God’s gifts, we should be wise:
We as authors, our misfortune
Brings about our own demise.
5. Help us write a script more wholesome
We the foe, not plastic bags.
Urgent change our habits shaping
Failing which buy more sandbags.
© Nick Shutt 2019
8787 (Through the night of doubt and sorrow)